This edition is a landmark work that brings to life the long-inaccessible ancient scrolls of Qumran. Three distinguished translators at the forefront of modern scrolls scholarship reveal the rich tapestry of writings known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. The most comprehensive translation ever compiled for the general reader in any language, this historic volume includes:
- Intriguing revelations about biblical history and the roots of Christianity
- Never-before-seen stories about the biblical figures Abraham, Jacob, and Enoch-including a text explaining why God demanded the sacrifice of Isaac
- Twelve texts not included in the Bible that claims Moses as their author
- New psalms attributed to King David and to Joshua
- Texts illuminating ancient doctrines about angels and writings claiming to be revelations of angels themselves-including the Archangel Michael
Translated into modern-day English by Michal Wise, Martin Abegg, Jr., and Edward Cook, this book contains virtually every legible portion of the fragmented scrolls. The translators provide illuminating commentary throughout that places the scrolls in their true historical context. They also present a compelling, insightful introduction that gives the reader an overview of the often surprising contents of the scrolls and discusses what are perhaps the greatest mysteries of the scrolls – who authored them and why.